08 December 2007

8/8/8


What's the last 8 for in my title, you ask? 8 degrees this morning. How fitting.
I originally wanted to run my 8 miles on the Ice Age Trail so that I ran slower but had a higher HR, but the conditions weren't exactly accomodating:
-- We have 4" of fluffy snow resting one top of about 6" of crusty snow, so with every step my foot would break through the crusty stuff, leading to quite a struggle just to find a rhythm walking.
-- It's also another gun deer season here in Wisconsin, so although I was in neon yellow, I know I'm not all that welcome out in the forest.

So I returned home, switched out of the trail shoes and into the roadie shoes, and took off on a 10 miler, with the first and last miles serving as warmups. It was still very chilly, but I enjoyed being out there and ran a negative split to finish in 55:37. Not sure where that left me in the overall standings, but it was kinda neat to know there were a bunch of people running for the exact same purpose as me (with the Exception of our RD, who ran yesterday).

I think I've been reading too many of Doug's posts recently, as good ol' Patty Plantar Fascia is starting to stalk me again. Just what I need. I attribute this to the blistering pace set by my fellow participants in today's race: vehicles. They were averaging at least 40 mph every time the passed me, just fast enough to spray some salt/snow/slush in my direction. Not sure how that relates to Patty, but both irritated me a bit.

Despite finishing about 8 minutes before Doug, I must have taken a wrong turn on the course, as when I reached the finish line (corner of Hwy E and Hwy O) there were no awards left. Gimme my medals ya jerk!

Thanks again, Nancy, for a great event!

10 comments:

David said...

Nice run! Beat me by almost 2 minutes. You must have been keeping one hell of a pace.

Grellan said...

Sub-7 minute pace - very impressive (especially given the slush)

Marcy said...

Dude that's crazy fast, especially in those circumstances. You're hardcore. I'd probably start throwing some sort of drama queen fits if any cars sprayed me with slush LOL

Nancy said...

Good lord, you're in the lead. :D

Thanks for participating, that's too bad about the wrong turn. The medals were out of this world. hee hee

The Laminator said...

Awesome run. You beat me by 18 seconds. Congrats on the great pace. If only I knew I were being challenged...I'll use this as motivation in our next virtual race!

Tri+Umph said...

Nice run, Nic!

I'll catch back up with you eventually. Sounds like we're 1-1, after our Duel in the Sun at Chicago, and now this!

Topher said...

great finish, man. congratulations!

ps - gotta love anyone that has Dwight Kurt Schrute listed on his blogroll. And Bad Ben; he's legendary here in Kansas City

Topher said...

great finish, man. congratulations!

ps - gotta love anyone that has Dwight Kurt Schrute listed on his blogroll. And Bad Ben; he's legendary here in Kansas City

Bob A said...

Great run in awful conditions. I've added you to the list of "8 on the 8th" heroes on my blog. :)

Bob
http://bobruns.blogspot.com/2007/12/slip-slidin-away.html

Jess said...

Great race!